No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Friday, April 28, 2006

Letter To Myself

OK, so I'm a nerd and I TiVo The Oprah Show daily. I don't know what to tell you. I can't help it. I like the woman.

I was catching up on my Oprah episodes after work, waiting on the husband to get home from Albany. A few days ago, an episode aired about women who hate themselves and have low self-esteem. During the show, Oprah mentioned that in the April issue of "O" Magazine, there is an article where different celebrities shared what they would write if they could write a letter to their younger selves--back when they were kids, adolescents or teens. I haven't read the article, but I wondered what I would write to myself. I began to write. Here is my letter:

Dear Younger Me,

I know how much you hate being that tall girl with braces, but someday your teeth will be straight and you will almost never have to shorten any pants.

I know you feel awkward and tom-boyish and not as petite and feminine as other girls, but eventually you will have curves and strength and be proud as you run your first 5K and ski down your first black diamond slope in Colorado.

I know you wished your hair was lighter and your eyes were blue and that you could spray "Sun In" on your hair for highlights like the other girls, but one day you will be proud of your "brunetteness" and never want to be anything else.

I know you may not have a boyfriend now, but someday you will marry a man who will not only be your greatest love, but he will make you laugh, be your biggest fan and your greatest companion. (He also seems to be quite fond of your "brunetteness".)

Enjoy your childhood--it will go by too fast and you will grow up too soon. Keep riding your bike too fast, climbing trees, exploring life and dreaming big.

Make a big pile of leaves from those maple trees in the front of the house where the tire swing is and jump in them a few times for me. Have another helping of Mom's macaroni and beef casserole. Keep saying your prayers and brushing your teeth.

Oh, and one more thing...when that bratty girl teases you after you fall and scrape the right side of your face, don't let it upset you so much. Just smack her upside the head. Seriously, you're still young. It won't even go on your record, and you'll feel much better about it long-term.

Sincerely,

Adult Me

4 Comments:

  • At 6:01 AM , Blogger Doo Dah said...

    So awesome. I love O too, but never have time to even watch recorded tapes.

    Thanks for the comment, but the oreos to straight to my theighs and butt. LOL you couldnt see that in my chest photo.

     
  • At 11:11 AM , Blogger pilgrimchick said...

    I'm not much of an Oprah fan. I feel like she makes her money off of these people--the people who have no or low self esteem. I would prefer not to tap any sector of the population like that for money.

    On the other hand, the letter is a great idea--makes you see how far you have come and how far you need to go. I'd like to try and write a letter to "Future self" about where I wish I would be someday.

    Love the concept...

     
  • At 6:28 PM , Blogger GJ said...

    I think I would tell my younger self to keep wearing her retainer and to kiss more boys.

     
  • At 9:50 AM , Blogger Doo Dah said...

    NON-BLONDE SPIDER HATIN WOMAN!

    YOU HAS DONE BEEN TAGGED GIRLIE.

    ((wink wink)) GO SEE MY BLOG TO SEE WHAT THE HELL I IS A YAKKIN'BOUT.

    ((huggs))

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home