No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Beginning of the Journey

Well, the surgery is finally behind me and I am on the long, slow road to recovery. I feel like it is a two-lane road, all uphill, where there is no passing allowed and I am stuck behind a really slow truck.

I don't remember much from the day of my surgery. I thought I might remember them asking me to count backwards or something, but I only remember saying goodbye to my husband, having them wheel me out of the room and BOOM, all of a sudden, I was groggy and hurting in a recovery room.

Luckily, they were able to help me out with the pain with a shot of something. I don't know what it was, but I was grateful for it.

When I came home from surgery, I apparently spent the first few hours nibbling on whole wheat saltines and napping. According to my husband, I dozed on and off through at least three music DVDs (The Beatles, Train and Sting). Later in the afternoon, I felt good enough to talk to a few people on the phone, but looking back, those conversations are a little hazy in my mind...

Yesterday, I started working from home. I've been emailing and on the phone with co-workers and vendors (although I am working under the influence of Percocet).

Yesterday was also my first physical therapy appointment, post-surgery. Originally, I thought they were crazy for making me get out of the house and go to therapy the day after my surgery, but it ended up being a really good thing. I was able to get through all of my exercises and stretches and even surprised the therapists by my abilities. I was told that they have seen other people the day after ACL reconstruction surgery who were turning green and getting sick while attempting their exercises. However, my color was good, I felt strong and I was able to do everything they asked me to do without too much difficulty. It was no picnic, but it didn't feel unreasonable. Overall, I think accomplishing what I did in therapy put me in a better state, mentally.

The best part: When I did my leg lifts, it didn't feel like my leg was "loose" at the knee--like it was going to fall off. It actually felt normal again. I think that was the part that surprised me the most. It was like immediate gratification for going through the surgery. I was so excited about it. Funny how excited you can get about something like that when life sort of puts things in perspective for you.

I feel like this is a good start to the rest of my recovery. I've been saving a gift card I received at Christmas time from Tiffany, and I've already decided that I am going to use it to treat myself to a small trinket for when I complete my last physical therapy visit to remind me of what I've been through and what I've accomplished.




It's going to be a long road--I'm just so glad to finally be starting the journey.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:25 PM , Blogger The Eccentric Blonde said...

    So glad to hear that the surgery went well! Good luck on the rest of your recovery - you are going to be just fine. :)

     
  • At 2:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Let me make sure I understand:
    They took something out of your ASS and put in your knee, in and around your kneecap. Right?
    That would mean you now have an ASCAP !!??

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home