No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Monday, May 14, 2007

Don't Forget Your Feet


Life has been so busy for me lately. We've had out of town guests. Work has been hectic. The husband's job is busy and he's doing a lot of traveling. So last night, after the chores were done and the grocery shopping had taken place, I decided to do something spontaneous. I haven't had any time to get any sun lately, so I decided to get my first spray-on tan. One of the people who inspired me, is the lovely Eccentric Blonde, who looked fabulous in her "fake bake" the last time I saw her.

After going online and watching the instructional video and going to the tanning place and have them walk me through the instructions, I still had that moment of, "Oh my gosh, what if I turn orange?" Ever since seeing the photo of Charlize Theron at the Oscars a few years ago (where she was orange), I have had a fear of the spray-on tan.






Also, I can never quite get the episode of Friends out of my head when Ross tries this particular method of tanning. It's enough to scare a girl into staying pale.








I stripped down, put the special lotion on my hands and feet, put on the lovely shower cap and reached out to press the start button. (There is nothing scarier than that moment in the booth when you reach out to press that button.)

The first thing I noticed was how cold it was. I don't think anything really prepares you for that. Then, although I was trying to hold my breath, I ran out of breath and had to breathe while the spray had aimed down at my feet, but the fog was still in the air. I have to wonder...are my lungs now tan?

I then realized that I had scrunched up my face as I was getting hit with this stuff, so I quickly relaxed my face as I imagined the strange, non-tanned creases that would form in my face from my expression. I hoped that I had relaxed my face soon enough.

I toweled off, got dressed and headed for home.

For my first time, it wasn't too bad. I was really impressed! I was bronze in no time at all and it looked natural and not at all streaky. There was only ONE thing that I did wrong, and that was that I didn't put the "barrier cream" on the bottoms of my feet. This morning, when I looked at the bottoms of my feet, they looked like they belonged to a person of another nationality. I'm not entirely sure which nationality looks brownish orange (if any), but whatever that nationality is, I looked like it. I took a pumice stone to my feet for about 10 minutes in the shower. They sort of look normal now. Sort of.

Anyway, overall it was a great experience and I will get sprayed again later this week to maintain my summery "glow".
Only this time, I will put the cream on the bottoms of my feet too.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:32 AM , Blogger Vixen said...

    I totally thought of Ross and that Friends scene when I read this!

    Oh great advice! I'm going to try this as well. With Daisy now there is very little pool time at least this month...

     
  • At 7:40 PM , Blogger The Eccentric Blonde said...

    Congrats on becoming a bronzed beauty! Welcome to the club ;)

     
  • At 5:10 PM , Blogger Trixie said...

    ooh i've always wanted to try the spray tan but like you hesistant to do so cuz I didn't want to turn orange.

    maybe i will try the spray tan soon.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home