No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Day 15 - Post Surgery

Well, I have to say, it's been a rough week.

I'm making progress on the knee (I've returned to work, I'm driving again, I'm down to "walking" with the leg brace and one crutch). However, last night, after I did my therapy, I noticed for the first time just how pathetic my leg muscles look in my injured leg. My thigh and calf muscles look like they belong in the leg of someone else.

Is this really my leg? Is this really the leg that I used to ski on? The leg I trained on the leg press before my ski trip? The leg that could ride the exercise bike or use the elliptical like there was no tomorrow? It sure doesn't look that way. I have to wonder--just how long will it take for my legs to "match" again? Will I look "unmatched" for a while, or will most of my muscle tone come back by the end of 12 weeks of therapy? Again, I think it begins to sink in just how much work I have ahead of me.

Then, today, there were layoffs at my husband's company. He managed to avoid being cut, but it was a sad day for him and the friends he lost. All day, I've felt a combination of relief, sadness, disbelief, joy and grief. I'm exhausted.

2008 continues to be a rough year. I'm hoping I'm getting most of my rough days out of the way early in the year and maybe the second half of this year will be amazing. I'm going to hold on to that hope.

And dang it--one day, I will have nice legs. Nice, strong, evenly matched legs.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:01 AM , Blogger Jed said...

    I think I stopped getting 'unmatched' comments by the doctors around week 5 or 6. I know that at my 7 week the guy that came in to take a look thought the right was bigger (and my recent measurements confirm this). I wish I could get get a better photo of them. Straight on when I'm doing a leg extension (with minimal weight since my PTist told me not to be doing them) you can definitely see the size.

    Something it did put into perspective how tiny all those "Size 0" models are. Each of my legs is a Size 0

    I would suggest getting a fabric tape measure and keeping track, it's something I wish I did when I started all of this.

     
  • At 6:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Maybe you should go ahead and shave the injured leg. Its been weeks and perhaps thats why they dont match ....DUH !!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home