No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Day 11 - Post Surgery




Okay, I have to post a few victories:

  • Yesterday, I did leg lifts with ankle weights on my bad leg and used a weight machine.

  • I rode the exercise bike and was able to bend my knee enough to actually pedal all the way around.

  • I got on the scale this morning and it is down from where I was before surgery (thank goodness, I've been trying to be really careful, but I can't remember the last time I was this sedentary for this long.)

  • I get to go back to work on Monday (I know, it sounds like a strange victory, but I am looking forward to a little bit more "normal" slipping back into my life.)

  • I figured out a way to "roll over" in the giant leg brace that I have to sleep in--it felt so good to sleep on my side for a little bit.

  • ....and last but not least, at Christmas, my in-laws bought my husband and I season passes to ride roller coasters this year. (Yeah, I know, we are 37 years old--but this stuff keeps us young.) Due to an amusement park merger, one pass now gets you into a bunch of parks. Before the season is through, we plan to hit Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio, Dorney Park in Allentown, PA, King's Island near Cincinnati, Ohio and maybe, just maybe, Knott's Berry Farms in California (which becomes Knott's Scary Farms near Halloween). I actually feel good enough to start thinking about riding roller coasters again! I think that is a really good sign.

6 Comments:

  • At 11:18 AM , Blogger Michele said...

    That is great news! Each day you will feel a little more "normal".

    Sleeping with the ACL brace was tough. I was able to sleep on my side using a lot of pillows to prop up my leg.

    I am a big fan of roller coasters. My favorite Dorney Park roller coaster is Steel Force. My all time favorite is The Bear at Hershey Park.

     
  • At 11:14 AM , Blogger Nonblond said...

    Michele - I grew up just minutes from Dorney--I will always love that park! Steel Force is a great coaster! The Bear at Hershey was built right after my husband and I moved from PA to TN, so I never got to try it. We will have to make a trip there sometime. I may try your pillow method of side sleeping in the ACL brace--thanks for the tip!

     
  • At 5:08 PM , Blogger Michele said...

    I do not have a far drive to Hershey or Dorney. I remember how we used to be able to drive right through the middle of Dorney Park. Those were the days!

     
  • At 7:21 AM , Blogger Jed said...

    Definitely hit up Cedar Point. I haven't been in 2 years but that park rocks. And if you're Coaster junkies it's worth the wait for the front of the Millennium Force.

    I wish I saw you were in Nashville, I could have shown you what 9 weeks Post Op could look like. Maybe watch a few games of Rugby.

    While I didn't have to sleep in a brace, I did sleep with my leg elevated for a good 2 weeks. I did a 1 leg prop using cushions from my couch. Sort of in this configuration //\. I have pictures in Day 0, Day 4 and Week 2.

     
  • At 10:25 PM , Blogger Hack Shaft said...

    I found the worst thing about sleeping with a brace was overcoming the cramps and resisting the urge to flex--like a bad case of restless leg syndrome!

    For side sleeping, it takes time and patience to find just the right position that doesn't hurt either your operative knee, or your good leg. Lotsa pillows help.

    Congrats on the surgical outcome, and best of luck as you move into week 3!

     
  • At 6:28 PM , Blogger Nonblond said...

    Thank you all for your words of wisdom--I appreciate your suggestions and encouragement!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home