No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Day 33 - Post Surgery - A Step Forward?



Okay, I've been waiting for this day.

The day when I finally feel like I have truly taken a giant step forward in my recovery. I think it has finally happened.

This weekend:

  • I have switched to the brace that allows my knee to bend while I walk (although I still have to sleep in the straight brace at night). Switching to this new brace made my therapy yesterday afternoon SO much easier (although it is strange to have to rely on my knee now when I walk). It's amazing how much easier it is to bend my knee when it isn't locked all day in a straight position! I have a feeling that I am now going to be making some good "knee bending progress" in therapy. I am almost looking forward to going to therapy tomorrow. Almost.

  • I was able to stand and sit through church (no kneeling--I have a feeling that kneeling is still in the distant future) instead of just sitting. I also got up for communion instead of having to have someone bring it to me. It felt great!

  • I went to Costco with my husband to shop. I haven't really done much (maybe not any) shopping in the last 33 days. It felt good to go through the motion of shopping again (even if it was just for a 30-pack of low-calorie breakfast bars).

  • I went upstairs in my house for the first time since February 8th (the day before we left for the ski trip). Most of what I need in my home is downstairs. The only thing in the upstairs of our house is a loft, another bathroom, an office and a spare bedroom. My laptop and bills have been downstairs since my accident, so I haven't really needed to go upstairs. However, yesterday, I climbed the 15 stairs to get some stamps and envelopes. It was a triumphant moment!

  • And last, but not least, after all of this walking around, going to church, shopping, stair climbing, etc, etc, I expected a very swollen knee. Although it was a little tender last night, I noticed that I can now see what appears to be the shape of a kneecap starting to appear. I think the swelling has actually decreased.

I don't think I really truly believed it before this weekend, but I think (I hope) that I might actually get to enjoy most of this summer. It might even be time for a little post-surgery pedicure. I think the tides are finally starting to turn. Maybe now I am finally getting to the "good" part of 2008.

It's about time.

5 Comments:

  • At 7:31 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

    What a great weekend! I had the bending brace immediately after surgery and while you have the bending problem, I've gone through a lot to get my knee straight. Alas, the grass is always greener!

     
  • At 12:33 PM , Blogger Nonblond said...

    Melissa, I guess every doctor is different. Mine seemed to think that getting is straight can be harder to achieve which is why they have been so particular about my keeping it straight for so long. I can get my leg straight as a board, but bending it is a whole other story! Good luck on your straightening...

     
  • At 2:27 PM , Blogger The Eccentric Blonde said...

    3 cheers for an improving knee! now just be careful coming down the stairs ;)

     
  • At 8:40 AM , Blogger Michele said...

    Great news! Fabulous weekend!

    It took several weeks for my kneecap to appear after surgery. It was a welcomed sight when my knee looked like my knee again. Way to go!

     
  • At 6:15 AM , Blogger Bob M said...

    Hi, nonblond,

    Congrats on your recovery gains!

    I remember that when they unlocked my brace so I could bend my knee when walking, I had to re-learn how to walk normally--I kept lifting my hip up, like a peg-leg pirate, instead of bending my knee normally. It came back pretty soon, but it was weird to see how quickly following ACL surgery I had forgotten how to walk.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home