No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Labor Day Weekend - Part 2 - Yuengling Brewery


I recently discovered, through the beauty of the Food Network, that I grew up very close to the oldest brewery in the United States, The Yuengling Brewery, in Pottsville, PA. So, while we were visiting PA over the holiday weekend, we decided to visit and tour the brewery. I am so glad that we did!



Here are some of the photos:







Horses used to travel up and down this road for beer distribution instead of tractor trailers.




The Yuengling family chose Pottsville because of all of the coal in the area. It takes lots of fuel for a brewery to function.





Here are the caves they used for refrigeration before there was such a thing. You can also see the brick wall where the government came in and bricked the caves over during prohibition. The caves were HUGE. It took ten years for men to dig them out by hand. Amazing.





The company survived prohibition by selling some of their beer for "medicinal" purposes. (I know it makes me feel better.)





We even were given a free taste at the end of the tour.







We just found out that even though Tennessee has not previously distributed Yuengling, it will soon be distributed here. Rumor has it--we will be able to purchase here by the middle of this month!










If you ever find yourself in Pottsville, PA, I recommend the tour. It was really interesting--and free! Cheers!



1 Comments:

  • At 8:40 PM , Blogger Vixen said...

    Very cool. I remember I like Yuengling and I'm not a big beer person.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home