No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Pits

Do you ever wonder why you develop a mental block about certain things and not others? I am having the weirdest mental block situation. It involves something tragically personal. I am having a mental block about deodorant.

Some of you might ask, "Deodorant? Why deodorant? Isn't this something that you would routinely wear daily?" My answer to this question would be a resounding "yes". This should not be an issue. But yes, I have to confess--since the beginning of summer, I've forgotten several times to apply deodorant.

The first time it happened, one might think, okay...weird fluke situation. I thought the same thing.

The second time it happened, I left work at lunchtime and purchased a travel size deodorant to keep at my desk. I figured that this would solve the whole problem.

Well, it happened again last night, but since it was July 4th, I wasn't at work. I was in the car with my in-laws and husband on my way to walk around downtown Franklin, Tennessee (a.k.a. a southern town in July = HOT) and to watch fireworks. As we were riding along, I realized that I had forgotten deodorant once again. It's not like I notice it because I stink, I just realize that it is something I neglected to do. I sort of go through that checklist in my mind...I have gum, sunglasses, my keys, my cell phone....DANG IT! Forgot the deodorant AGAIN! What is WRONG with me?!?

Luckily, the evening went just fine. I tend to be on the cold side, so it takes a lot for me to sweat. I also had just showered before leaving the house (which worked in my favor) and it did cool off a little once the sun went down (thank goodness!). However, I am starting to wonder about myself. This has never been an issue before.

I'm beginning to wonder if I need to start carrying deodorant with me, which just seems silly. I don't need one more thing floating around in my giant purse. It would surely pop out of my purse at a bad time (along with a few tampons--the deodorant stick and the tampons would probably gang up on me and work together on this) when pulling out my key card for work or something like that.

My mental block doesn't seem to be affecting any other aspect of my life. I am not missing deadlines at work. I am paying bills and mailing out birthday cards. I still call my mother every few days. I am still wearing clean underwear. For some reason, the application of deodorant is just one of those things that occasionally escapes me. It's like the "put on deodorant" brain cells have died. Like my last glass of wine finally put them in their grave.

I guess the moment of truth is finally here. Either my true friends will still love me in my stinky, senile state, or I will find a way to get past this mental block. In any case, I am working toward the goal of drier, freshly-scented armpits.

Thank you for your patience and support.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Think again.I could smell you from here !!!

     
  • At 7:30 PM , Blogger Vixen said...

    Peeeeeeewwwwwwwwww! Good thing you have that scented car air freshner! ;-)

     
  • At 12:02 AM , Blogger The Eccentric Blonde said...

    I think you have more armpit issues than anyone else I know...I love it!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home