No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

A New Chapter

Have you seen the Monster.com commercials where they show people who are just insanely happy with their jobs? The people in the commercials are dancing, jumping, playing and laughing in various blue and white collar positions. At my current job, I am not one of those people. There is no dancing and the laughter is minimal.

I am a realistic person. I realize that most people are not THAT happy in their jobs--but I used to be. Five years ago, I had what I considered to be the Perfect Job. It was a job in the entertainment industry. I had a fun boss who understood that a heavy workload combined with deadline pressures could take take it's toll on people, so she made sure that there was enough laughter and fun to balance out the stress. I liked what I did and I was good at it. It was an easy commute. I considered my co-workers to be my friends. The whole situation was good and I enjoyed going to work every day for about four years. Those years FLEW by.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I had to resign. (My husband was getting transferred out of state for his job.) It was a sad day for me, but I somehow always felt that eventually I would be happy in a job again.

It has been almost 5 years and three employers since then.

Company #1 was fine (not as exciting as a Monster.com commercial, but it was fine) but after 3 years there, my husband was transferred back to Tennessee--so we moved again.

Company #2 was bad. Short commute, but I could not please my boss. I found myself having fantasies of how much better my life would be if he just didn't come back to work one day--for whatever reason--I would let my imagination run wild with multiple scenarios. Working there stressed me out and made me cry. I realized I had to get out. I quit after 8 months without having other employment. I knew that anything would be better than the situation that I was in.

Company #3 came to my rescue in my time of need. It is a commercial printing company where I do various administrative and purchasing tasks. I was very appreciative of the job opportunity--but I never felt settled. The money was decent, but the commute is long. The ink fumes are strong. It is a noisy, industrial atmosphere. I am not being used to my full potential and I don't really love what I do. I somehow always knew there was something else out there for me--I just didn't know how to find it or when I would discover it.

Several weeks ago, I had a friend call me who used to work with me when I had my Perfect Job. She is at a new company where a position similar to Perfect Job had opened up. I was thrilled at first, but discovered the job would have meant taking a huge pay cut. I probably would have considered the position for a small pay cut, but a huge pay cut was just not feasible. She casually mentioned that she had heard of another position at another company that I might be interested in. It was such an afterthought, that at first, I wasn't even sure I should pursue it.

I sent in a resume. I had interview #1. I had interview #2. I had a job offer!

Here are some of the reasons why I am thrilled about New Job:


  • New Job puts me back in the entertainment business.
  • New Job is close to my house (under 4 mile commute--all back roads)
  • New Job is doing what I love again.
  • New Job offers 3 weeks paid time off PLUS they are closed the week of Christmas.
  • New Job is in a seemingly fun atmosphere / with seemingly fun people.
  • New Job has "summer hours" and employees may leave at 2:00 on Fridays during the summer.
  • New Job gives Christmas bonuses and fringe benefits.
  • New Job offered the same salary that I was making at current job.

Needless to say, I am VERY excited about New Job. I'm not sure that I'll behave like the people in the commercials, but I believe it is a step in the right direction. Just the thought is intoxicating. A fresh start. A clean slate. A new chapter in life.

The new chapter begins May 30th.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home