No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Sunday, May 21, 2006

A Grey Area


In the fall of 2002, we adopted 2 retired racing greyhounds.

We were walking through the Allentown Fair that year, and one of the stands caught our eye. It was a stand dedicated to helping retired racing greyhounds find homes. I don't think I had really had any experience with greyhounds prior to that moment. They were tall, skinny, quiet and calm. There was something about their gentle nature that I was drawn to immediately and when they looked into your eyes, you couldn't help but melt.

We bought a book on greyhounds and did some research. It did not take us long to reach a decision. Once we had made the decision to adopt, we met our boy, Smoke (his racing name was Indian Smoke). We immediately knew we wanted to take him home. He was so quiet and shy and sweet and a gorgeous red fawn color. Not long after, we met our girl--the happy, quirky, brindle-colored, Hollywood (her racing name was Rodeo Hollywood). We ended up adopting both and the adoption group delivered them both to us on the same day.

They make me smile every day that they share our home.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:54 PM , Blogger The Eccentric Blonde said...

    You have no idea how much I miss these doggies! Aunt Nicole needs to come visit again. ;)

    Oh - and the photos from the big bash last weekend were hilarious! I'm just bummed that I missed it...

     
  • At 1:56 PM , Blogger GJ said...

    I love dogs...I need to meet yours.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home