No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Monday, March 19, 2007

It Only Took One Martini



Ever wonder what it would feel like if you were actually completely comfortable in your own skin? I wonder that same thing all of the time.


However, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to do an experiment and step into a world where you have to pretend to be comfortable in your own skin. I had a professional photographer friend do a photo shoot.




So, there I was, the non-supermodel, non-anorexic, inexperienced, curvy, over 35 year old woman stepping into a studio with backdrops, lights, fans and other equipment that I knew nothing about. Just the initial sight of it all set up for me was a little intimidating. Okay. A LOT intimidating.

On went the 70's music--and I posed. And posed. And posed. I propped myself up on my elbows until it hurt. I smiled into the blowing fan until my eyes watered. I swung my hair around while trying to stay balanced on high heels. And I laughed at myself a lot.

In the end, I am glad that I did it. I mean who are we kidding? We are all flawed. I am very aware of all of my imperfections. I get to see those imperfections and groan at them in the mirror every day. But it was really nice to have someone gifted in photography find my strengths and make those the main focus. Yes, at first I did feel like a giant dork. But in the end, I have photos that I can share with my husband and friends and look back at when I'm 80 and smile.

Who knows...maybe when I'm 80, I'll be ready to pose for the camera again. I may not swing my hair around as much though. I might throw out my back.


8 Comments:

  • At 7:58 PM , Blogger GJ said...

    WOW!!! STUNNING!!! WORK IT OUT!!! (I heard Tyra say that on America's Next Top Model so I've been dying to use it appropriately...thanks for giving me a reason.)

     
  • At 5:18 AM , Blogger Vixen said...

    Fabulous Dahling... So is modeling really as hard as they say?

     
  • At 7:11 AM , Blogger Doo Dah said...

    So pretty! I love the last one!

     
  • At 9:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, great pics, but I have to agree, that last one is so eye catching.

     
  • At 5:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a BUCKETHEAD !!!

     
  • At 9:07 PM , Blogger The Eccentric Blonde said...

    you look beautiful!

     
  • At 6:43 AM , Blogger Doo Dah said...

    excuse my ignorance, but wtf is a "buckethead" exactly ?

    And why would ya have to say it under the guise of "anonymous" ?

    :)

     
  • At 11:43 AM , Blogger Nonblond said...

    Doo Dah - Excellent question! "Mr. Anonymous" comments a lot. He is actually a personal friend who has called me "Buckethead" for years. I don't know why he calls me Buckethead, but he seems to enjoy it. He tries to annoy me with his irreverent posts, but I grew up with 3 older brothers, so it's simply going to take more than he can dish out. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home