No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Friday Feast--On a Tuesday Night?!

Okay, so I wrote this, but forgot to post it last week. I wouldn't want a good meal to go to waste!

Appetizer

Where on your body do you have a scar, and what caused it?

I have a scar on my right knee. It was from when I was about 5 years old, and I fell on a piece of broken glass that was outside of my house. I just remember how terrified I was (at the time) at the idea of getting stitches. If I had gotten stitches, I probably wouldn't have a scar on my knee, but I actually appreciate the fact that my Mom didn't force me to go to the ER. I think she knew that with me being the youngest of 6 kids, that having a scar on the knee would not be the end of the world, but taking me to the ER to get stitches would have been devastating for me. I think that scars, to some degree, add character to a person. They all tell a story.

Soup

What is something that has happened to you that you would consider a miracle?

I think I may have mentioned this once before, but we had a fire in the house where I grew up. Growing up Catholic, we had several items in the house that were blessed by a priest. One was a paper picture of Jesus that hung on the wall in our kitchen. Another was a wooden and glass container that hung on the wall that was used to hold holy water (you could dip your fingers in it and make the sign of the cross before saying grace). There was also a plastic bottle filled with holy water (for refills).

The kitchen fire was devastating. Everything was destroyed, burned and/or melted. Everything except for those blessed items that remained in our kitchen completely untouched by the flames. The walls burned around the items.

I definitely consider that to be a miraculous event. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it myself.

Salad

Name a television personality who really gets on your nerves.

Bill Maher. I can't even stand to watch a few minutes of him. He annoys me and life is just too short to watch people on TV who irritate you.

Main Course

What was a funny word you said as a child (such as "pasketti" for "spaghetti")?

I don't remember ever saying an English word incorrectly. I had 5 older brothers and sisters, so I was always quickly corrected on my speech and grammar early in life. However, both of my parents are fluent in Polish and they would occasionally throw in a Polish word and use it regularly in the middle of English sentences. One word that I always thought was great (and I don't know how it is spelled) is "gachies". For some reason, when I was growing up, underwear was never underwear. It was always "gachies". To this day, I will still tell my husband (after doing the laundry) that he now has clean "gachies". It's such a funny word.

Dessert

Fill in the blank: I have always thought_____was______.

I have always thought that Barry Manilow was kind of cool. (Don't judge me.)

2 Comments:

  • At 10:16 PM , Blogger Lynn in Tucson said...

    So...is your family Serbian, by any chance? We say gachies, too (I found your post while Googling it...)!

     
  • At 5:10 PM , Blogger Nonblond said...

    Lynn - My family is Polish and Ukranian, but that's hilarious that you say gachies too! I had no idea where it came from!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home