No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Ten Pounds Down...

As the temperature begins to climb, and the days get longer, I suddenly find myself with a new motivation for continuing on this journey to fitness. The other key motivator? I am finally down 10 whole pounds since January.

Finally, I feel like I am making some progress. I also know my body well enough to know that I am right on the cusp of starting to see a difference in the mirror and I reeeaaaaally want to get to that point.

So, I've been sweating on the elliptical machine (I worked out last night until I burned 825 calories on that darned thing). I've been reading food labels and purchasing accordingly. I've been drinking lots of water. I've been parking further away from the door at the grocery store and at work. And I keep waiting and watching patiently as the number on the scale slowly creeps lower and lower.

As I sip my Diet Coke and eat another Lean Cuisine, I know that in the long run this will all be worth it. Not just for the weight loss competition at work (which my department is winning, by the way). Better for my health. Better for my energy level. Better for swimsuit season and summer clothes. Better for improving future skiing ability. (Do I really have to wait a whole year to ski again?) Better for my overall well-being.

One thing that I think I have finally come to terms with is the fact that this is hard work. There is no getting around it. There is no miracle cure. There is no miracle diet. (I am talking from experience here.) There is only slow and steady progress through healthy eating, portion control and exercise. It's not fun. It's time consuming. It's not at all glamorous. But according to my scale, it works.

I truly envy people who don't have to try this hard to maintain their fitness. Unfortunately, I work with plenty of those people. (Sigh.) I get to hear about how they didn't work out all week and they went out for pizza, etc, etc, but their weight doesn't fluctuate. In fact, one gentleman who I work with actually has trouble gaining weight. (Is there no justice?)

I have come to terms with the fact that I am just not one of those people.

Only 13 weeks left until Memorial Day weekend. If you are looking for me, I'll be working out. I'm not saying that I'm going to like it--but that's where I'll be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home