No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Sunday, August 20, 2006

World Trade Center Movie




I saw Oliver Stone's World Trade Center movie last night.

It allows you to view the events of 9/11 again from the viewpoint of a few of the police officers working that day and those police officers' families. It felt like a real tribute to those amazing people. It felt like a true representation of that day.

However, watching it felt as though I was experiencing an injury all over again in the exact same place. It was a very familiar pain and I was surprised at just how familiar it was. I think I've spent the last few years trying to forget just how intense that day was and not allowing myself to think about it in the detail that I did when it first happened.

I think it's important not to forget how it felt on that day. Even though we want to forget about the horrible act that occurred on 9/11, I think it's important to remember all of the heroic acts of the brave New Yorkers who experienced it and showed the world how to work together on a day of impossible pain.

8 Comments:

  • At 5:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How bout all those brave people stuck on that plane full of pissed off snakes also!!???

     
  • At 5:29 PM , Blogger pilgrimchick said...

    I really don't have a lot of love for the film industry in general. I'm glad that it so generously "told" the story of those brave men and women--and really, if we wanted to honor them respectfully, a huge blockbuster film isn't the way to do it--with big, buff guys and slim athletic women all over the place as fire fighters and cops--come on. Honestly, they would have done better to have gone the "documentary" route--I am sure they could have easily surpassed the totals of Moore's triumph and in the process, actually spoken to people who were really there and affected rather than a bunch of actors meant to "feel" the part and look pretty.

    Not to mention--hmmmm....does it come as a surprise that this film is coming out during primary season and right before a midterm election? I don't think so.

     
  • At 7:16 PM , Blogger Nonblond said...

    slskenyon - Did you actually see the movie? Where were the buff guys and slim athletic women? I must have missed that. They did consult the fire fighters who were involved. If you click on the link and go to the movie's website, you can get more information on the research behind the movie. I can guarantee that no actors "looked pretty" in this one.

     
  • At 8:38 AM , Blogger Colleen Gleason said...

    I've been wanting to see this movie. Every time I see the trailer at the theater (which was a lot this summer, as I saw a lot of flicks!), I cried.

    I'm sure it's been Hollywoodized, but I still want to see it. I don't want to forget.

     
  • At 12:00 AM , Blogger The Eccentric Blonde said...

    the movie intrigued me but i really can't stand nicholas cage. i haven't forgotten but I dont't think i wasnt to re-live the 9/11 experience either. i think i'll wait on this one.....

     
  • At 7:22 PM , Blogger The Eccentric Blonde said...

    ha! i should mention that i drank a bottle of wine before posting my comment last night. whoops!

     
  • At 8:07 PM , Blogger GJ said...

    Nicolas Cage gives me the creeps......could I get over it? Is it worth it?

     
  • At 6:55 PM , Blogger Nonblond said...

    To all freaked out by Nicholas Cage--I actually ended up forgetting it was him in the movie as I was watching--but you might feel differently.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home