No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Do You Like a Good Thrill?


Well, we're doing it again. We're off to do something that is not typical for two adult, working professionals. (I sometimes think we will never grow up - - we just grow older.)

Thursday night, we are cashing in some free flights and hotel points and we are traveling to Universal Studios in Orlando for the weekend to ride roller coasters by day (at Islands of Adventure) and experience their Halloween haunted houses at night (Halloween Horror Nights).


We're not talking about just any haunted houses, but scary looking haunted houses. Professionally scary looking haunted houses. Haunted attractions that look so scary, the online information about them made my palms sweat a little bit.


So why do we ride roller coasters and go to haunted houses and watch scary movies and ski down steep mountains? Shouldn't we be sensible? Why do we want to raise our heart rates, feel that rush of adrenaline and make our palms sweat?

We all spend so much time trying to get that close parking spot, sleeping on the most comfortable mattress, sitting on the softest couch and using the best fabric softener. I sometimes think that we sort of become "comfort addicted" and maybe a little bit numb.

Do we become so used to our routines of driving in our comfortable, air conditioned cars to our comfortable air conditioned jobs so that every now and then we have to remind ourselves what it feels like to need to scream about something? Do we just need to be reminded every now and then what it feels like to be - - alive?



This weekend I want to experience some extreme roller coasters I've never been on. I want to feel the wind to blow through my hair at high speeds. I want to stand in line for attractions that will probably make my skin crawl, make me uncomfortable, cause me to jump a mile and probably make me scream out loud.

When I am sitting at my comfortable desk next week, sipping coffee and sending emails, I can think back with satisfaction and remember, "That's what it feels like to be alive."

And then I'll come home and read Consumer Reports to research which fabric softener is the softest while I lounge on my squishy mattress in my air conditioned bedroom.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:31 PM , Blogger pilgrimchick said...

    I'll have to agree with the "comfort addicted" point you make here. When people ask questions or make comments where I work (in a recreated 17th century environment), about 90 percent of them have to do with how uncomfortable or hard certain things must have been. It just seems pathetic to me that people would be concerned about sleeping on the floor.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home