No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Does the Cover Match the Book?

I had a co-worker confess to me last week, that upon meeting me a little over a year ago, she had judged me based on my appearance. She felt that just by looking at me, she could tell that I wasn't smart enough to "make it" in my job at this company. She admitted that over the past year, I had proved her wrong and she even apologized to me, but I thought that it was an interesting confession.

How often do we judge people by appearances? What if she would have been the person who was doing the hiring? Would I have been given the chance to prove myself? People always say that it's what is on the inside that counts. However, people DO judge the book by the cover and we're all guilty of it.

As you look in the mirror tomorrow morning, ask yourself, "What does the reflection tell people you are...and do you agree?"

2 Comments:

  • At 7:49 PM , Blogger Vixen said...

    Yup everyone does it. They judge someone or make assumptions based on appearance only. What made her confess this?

     
  • At 10:17 AM , Blogger Nonblond said...

    Her confession came during a lunch. A group of us all went out together (which is pretty rare lately) and we were talking about how wild the work load has been. I had mentioned how I felt like I had gotten to experience a lot at the company in only a year. That was when she said, "Oh, by the way, I have a confession to make...when you first started I thought you were too pretty and smiled too much to be smart. I was sure you wouldn't last." Flattering to be called "too pretty" for something. Disturbing that it can be thought that a person can't be pretty or happy/positive and still be intelligent.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home