No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Monday, November 20, 2006

The Spice of Life



One of the things that I registered for upon my engagement back in 1995, was a spice rack. I received a fine spice rack containing 24 spices, and I loved it. Over the past decade, it has served me well and I found myself refilling the bottles and using them to my heart's content. I would use them in pies and desserts, new recipes I would try, or just to sprinkle over pizza. However, after ten years, I thought it might be time to replace the 24 spices with totally fresh bottles filled with completely fresh spices. We just spent the last few hours at Kroger doing our Thanksgiving shopping and I thought it might be a good time to pick them out.

Picking them out took a while. I gave considerable thought (much to my husband's dismay) to the spices I was choosing. Did I want to get rid of a few of the ones I seldom used and replace them with some other new and exciting choices? Do I keep all of the standards or mix it up a little? Decisions...decisions. Eventually, I walked away with my top 24 beautiful, new glass jars of McCormick spices and I was thrilled.

I had no idea what a great feeling it would be to bring home new spices. I opened the jars and smelled them. Mmmm, the basil made me salivate. The red hue of the paprika was so vibrant and beautiful--I almost wanted to match a paint color to it. My old ginger was cakey compared to this new jar and for that matter, my old oregano, dare I say it...faded! I even bought a jar of celery salt for no other reason than the fact that I remembered my Mom using it on something, and it was delicious, although I have no idea what it was she used it for. (I plan to ask her tomorrow.) In any case, just opening the jar and inhaling the scent was worth whatever I paid for it.

For me, on this very day, I found great happiness and beauty in a new, fresh, alphabetized, spice rack.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home