No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Fifteen Days Old

Above: Yup, that's my hand playing that "G" note.


As a fifteen day old bass player, I...

  • have practiced and played every single day during these 15 days.

  • have numbness in my fingertips.

  • can play the basic bass notes for Nickelback's Rockstar, The Beatles' Hey Jude, Sheryl Crow's The First Cut is the Deepest and The Police's Every Breath You Take.

  • am unsure why they would give some notes two names--and my 38 year old brain is having a tough time with it.

  • have a whole new respect for anyone playing a stringed instrument of any kind.

  • plugged into a bass amp for the first time and LOVED being able to hear myself amplified--I can see how that can become addictive.

  • am driving my seasoned, guitar-player husband crazy with constant questions.

  • find myself listening to music differently.

  • really want to learn how to play Foo Fighters', The Pretender, after my husband taught me that cool bass lick, but need someone to chart out the notes for me.

  • think I needed this creative outlet in my life right now more than I realized.

  • think this is a whole lot more fun than I ever imagined it would be--why didn't I try this earlier in life?

3 Comments:

  • At 12:14 AM , Blogger Diane said...

    I'm impressed. Plain and Simple. I admire you for doing this and learning to play Bass. I have to wonder though of the songs you've learned so far - why - Sheryl Crow's - The first cut is the deepest?


    I guess I should learn to play drums now and we can form our own band! hehe :-) Hmmm...beating on drums may be therapeutic!

     
  • At 6:13 AM , Blogger Nonblond said...

    "First Cut is the Deepest" was the second song I learned because there are only 3 bass notes used through the whole song. You play "D", "A", "G", "A" over and over through the whole song! :)

     
  • At 2:37 PM , Blogger the eccentric blonde said...

    I am impressed! Just promise me that you won't break it out at the next party and attempt to play at 2AM with all the other drunkards! ;)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home