No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

The New Adventure




Well, after a difficult year of injuries, job loss and other tragedies, I am walking on eggshells into 2009. I guess that's why this is the first post of the year--and it's February. I am trying to be careful not to stir up any drama. I'm almost afraid to write anything down.

I lost my job right before Christmas. I worked in an art department for an entertainment company scheduling and managing the flow of jobs for some extremely talented individuals. I loved my job.

As I tiptoe into 2009, five of my former co-workers and myself are bonding together in an attempt to form a company. (Sort of like the department that companies no longer have since everyone is losing their jobs.)

I've never done anything like this before in my life. In fact, I've never wanted to do anything like this before in my life.

I'm usually the "safe" one. The planner. I don't usually take risks. However, it somehow feels right to take this leap of faith and start a crazy graphic design/photography/3D animation/podcasting/copywriting/motion graphics/publishing company with five people I respect, admire and trust.

Slowly, I am peeling back the layers of sadness, anger and frustration. I am replacing them with an entrepreneurial spirit, faith and good old-fashioned hard work.

Although it has been a roller-coaster ride over the last few weeks as we encounter new challenges we didn't know we would have ahead of us, we have made amazing progress and I can't wait to see what happens next. It feels like we are on the verge of something great.

Circumstances being what they are, I am being much more careful with spending, clipping more coupons, working out more, communicating with God more and actually starting to feel like my old self again. My pre-2008 self again. I'm almost...dare I say it...happy.

So, as this new, unprecedented adventure begins, I am entering unfamiliar territory. Instead of mailing out resumes, I'm knocking on doors. Instead of going to interviews, I'm looking for office space. Instead of learning new co-workers' names, I am developing a partnership with my old co-workers.

Thanks to a flexible and patient husband, a severance package, a few weeks of unemployment pay and a dream, I am getting to try something new in life and I'll never have to wonder "what would have happened if".

Succeed or fail--here we come.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    that's the spirit! you inspire me!!

     
  • At 7:48 AM , Blogger Lydia said...

    Good luck! Things will work out. I am glad that you are still alive and kicking. I was starting to wonder :)

     
  • At 4:20 PM , Blogger Michele said...

    Good for you!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home