No Spiders Allowed

Thoughts from the Mind of An Arachnophobic Brunette

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Life Adjustments and a New Hobby!

As my former co-workers and I work on getting our new business off the ground, I am experiencing the daily challenges of not having money directly deposited into my bank account every other Friday.

First of all, there's the whole "no money" thing. It's amazing how attached you can become to cold, hard cash and how much you can miss it when it's not there.

Second, we don't have office space yet. I used to spend my days in constant contact with people. People would stop by my desk, people would call me, I would speak to vendors and eat lunch with people. Now, although I am still in contact with my business partners on a regular basis via phone and email, we don't meet every day, so I find myself really missing the social contact. Facebook is fun, but it just isn't quite the the same. I find myself talking to my dogs a lot and today I spontaneously vacuumed just to make some noise. (Well okay, the floor was dirty too.)

Third, I find that I put this strange pressure on myself since I am at home. I feel like since I am at here, the laundry should always be done, the counter tops wiped down, dishes put away, bills paid, Ebay sales packed up, etc, etc. So between emails, meetings, phone calls and research, I find myself turning into a crazy multitasking woman at home. Of course, I was a crazy multitasking woman at my previous job, so maybe I am filling that void somehow. I miss that adrenaline rush a little, I think.

On the other hand, not having to go to an office every day has allowed me some freedom. I am actually working out regularly now and recently had the opportunity to go and record promotional spots at a local radio station as their "Ordinary Listener of the Week" which was a lot of fun AND I scored some free restaurant gift cards.

Finally, I am proud to say, that despite all of the insanity that goes along with losing your job and trying to start a business, I am truly going to attempt to do one thing for me. One thing that will not make me any money, will not provide me any networking opportunities, will not get my chores done any faster. I am going to learn to play a musical instrument.

I am married to a musician, I have friends who are musicians, and although I have a great love of all things musical, I have never learned to play an instrument. I am 38 years old and have never learned to play anything. I want to change that.

I live in a house full of guitars that belong to my husband. Behold...the first musical instrument I have ever actually owned. This....is MY bass.






Oh...and I bought this:




My husband is going to help tutor me. (He's so sweet. I think he knows I really need this right now.) I'm really excited about it! Here's to future fingertip blisters and callouses!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home